A new cast member has joined the next adventure of the Starship Enterprise, and he’s worked with the director before.
According to a report from THR, actor and martial artist Joe Taslim has joined the upcoming Star Trek Beyond in a role that’s said to be opposite Idris Elba, who will be playing the film’s villain. Taslim has worked with Lin in the past, serving as one of the antagonists, along with Luke Evans, in 2013′s Fast & Furious 6. Audiences also likely know Taslim from his role as police sergeant Jaka in the critically acclaimed award-winning 2011 action film The Raid: Redemption. While his role in the upcoming Star Trek film has yet to be specified in any meaningful capacity, we likely won’t hear any specifics about it until we at least first learn more about Elba’s role, which is also being kept under wraps at the moment.
Star Trek Beyond will mark Justin Lin’s debut in directing science fiction, but his hiring and the hiring of a physically intense performer like Taslim seem to indicate that he’ll be pushing the action envelope already increased in the franchise by this film’s two predecessors directed by J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Beyond will be directed by Lin from a screenplay written by Doug Jung and star Simon Pegg, who is also reprising his role as the Enterprise‘s chief engineer, Scotty.
Star Trek Beyond is currently scheduled to be released on July 8th, 2016. 2016 also marks the 50th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise, which aired for the first time on NBC on September 8th, 1966 with the original series episode “The Man Trap.” For more on Star Trek Beyond as it takes shape, keep your sensors locked on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015