Originally created in 1986 by Ben Edlund, The Tick was a character that was originally meant to be the mascot for the New England Comics store chain, before he got his own comic book series in 1988, then had a short-lived animated TV series in the 1990s on Fox, and a short-lived live-action show as well. Now though, the character is set to return to the small screen once again this year and in a week all about the biggest superheroes in pop culture right now, Amazon has revealed the first images and premiere date for The Tick online today.
The new series will premiere on Amazon on August 19th, and you can check out the new images below, which feature lead star Peter Seafinowicz in costume as the character as well.
Spoiler alert – it looks just as strange and silly as you might think.
Check out the official synopsis for the series as well:
In a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an underdog accountant with zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero. The Tick stars Peter Serafinowicz (Guardians of the Galaxy), Griffin Newman (Vinyl), Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen), Valorie Curry (House of Lies), Yara Martinez (Jane the Virgin) and Brendan Hines (Scorpion). The Tick is executive produced by Ben Edlund (Supernatural), Barry Josephson (Bones) and Barry Sonnenfeld (A Series of Unfortunate Events), directed by Wally Pfister (The Dark Knight), and written by Edlund. The Tick is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television.
I really don’t know what to expect from this show if I’m being entirely honest, but the proposition of seeing an entire TV series where Peter Serafinowicz is dressed up in a skin-tight blue tick costume might be too hard to pass up on its own. Considering how increasingly-saturated the comic book genre is becoming at this point as well, The Tick could provide a fresh new taste of what the genre can provide.
The Tick will premiere on Amazon on August 19th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016