Maybe more than any other aspect of the film right now, the most exciting and unpredictable part of next year’s live-action Power Rangers film is Elizabeth Banks’ performance as the villainous Rita Repulsa. The over-the-top but memorable character from the original series received a green, reptilian makeover for the new film, and with a talented actress like Banks portraying her (who has proven she can do over-the-top well in The Hunger Games), the Power Rangers reboot could at the very least have its hands on a very unique villain this time around.
Following the character posters released earlier today, and ahead of the movie’s strong presence at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con next week, the first official still from the film has been revealed, showing Banks’ Repulsa getting right in the face of Becky G’s Trini a.k.a The Yellow Ranger.
Check out the image below:
Becky G describes the scene to Entertainment Weekly as the following:
Rita tries to make Trini feel like she’s the weakest link of the Power Rangers, and she feels it’s easiest to go for her. Rita’s the type to play a lot of mind games, and Trini’s [thinking], “Can I really overpower Rita Repulsa or can I not?”
I’ve grown considerably more okay with Repulsa’s costume in the film, after having a bit of a lukewarm reaction to it initially. It’s clear that the reboot is going to try and turn Rita into a bit more villainous of a character than the always-cackling and scheming iteration from the original series, and making her costume a bit sharper, more alien, and lethal obviously the first step in that transition.
Funnily enough, not much noise has been made about the Rangers themselves yet, and it will be interesting to see how the main team of kids manage to keep the spotlight on themselves as they go up against bigger and more well-known personalities like Banks and the recently-cast Bryan Cranston even.
Power Rangers is set to hit theatres on March 24th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016