There’s little doubt that horror films are fine franchise-starters, and James DeMonaco’s The Purge is no different. The low budget studio film dominated the box office earlier this year, pulling in $87 million from a $3 million budget, so it was no surprise when Universal and Blumhouse decided to fast track a sequel just last month.
DeMonaco is again back to write and direct the feature, and now we’re getting a bit of an idea about what we might expect from the sequel. Well, at least we’re getting an idea of who we might expect from the sequel, as Deadline reports that Frank Grillo will star in the new film.
Grillo has racked up some steady work in supporting roles and as a bit of a character actor – you probably recognize him from films like End of Watch, Homefront, Warrior, and Zero Dark Thirty. This should be a solid leading role for him, and we’re anxious to see who else is cast in the film (Ethan Hawke, who starred in the first film, will ahem most likely not be coming back).
We still don’t know much about the plot of the film, but DeMonaco’s first film, which centered on a society that allows all crime to be legal on one night of the year, is perfect for universe expansion. Despite setting up such a large idea to play within, most of the first film was limited to the actions inside one family’s home, so it’s easy to imagine other dramas playing out across the world on Purge night. How about we move the drama and terror to the streets?
The Purge 2 will hit theaters on June 20, 2014. Lock your doors.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014