Kenneth Branagh has been focusing more and more on his directorial projects over the last few years it seems, and while he’s rumored and announced to be a part of multiple projects as a director in the future as well, his next film will be none other than a remake of the Agatha Christie classic, Murder on the Orient Express.
Following the news recently that Johnny Depp would be starring in the remake too, the film’s full, star-studded ensemble has officially been revealed.
20th Century Fox unveiled the film’s full lineup recently, and in addition to Depp playing Ratchett, it will also star Branagh as detective Hercule Poirot, Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard, Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham, Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff, Lucy Boynton as Countess Andrenyi, Tom Bateman as Bouc, Derek Jacobi as Masterman, Michael Peņa as Marquez, and Hamilton star Leslie Odom Jr. as Doctor Arbuthnot.
The press release states the film’s cast is nearly complete, though there are still a number of key roles that need to be cast. Branagh commented on the news, saying:
“Christie’s ‘Murder’ is mysterious, compelling and unsettling. I’m honoured to have this fantastic group of actors bring these dark materials to life for a new audience.”
Christie’s 1934 mystery novel was adapted into an Academy award-winning film in 1974, and the story itself is generally considered to be one of the more ingenious mysteries recognized in popular culture, revolving around a murder committed on a famous train, and a detective that must solve the case and identify the murderer, amongst a sea of passengers that could all equally be guilty.
Branagh has shown a particular skill at giving new life to well worn stories onscreen before, and while the need of a remake of this still feels unnecessary, there’s no denying the talent of this ensemble or the promise of its director behind the camera. Hopefully, it ends up being worthy of both.
Murder on the Orient Express is set to hit theatres on November 22nd, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016