“Battle of the Bastards,” the ninth episode in the sixth season of Game of Thrones, kicked some major ass to put it bluntly. Not only did it deliver on two of the greatest action set pieces in television history, but it also represented a major turning point in the overall story of the show and in a number of characters’ storylines. Even going so far as to put an end to one of the show’s most hated villains, in possibly the most satisfying way imaginable.
The episode was predictably met with both critical and fan acclaim, and it looks like “Battle of the Bastards” didn’t just win Winterfell back for the Starks, but has also become the highest-rated episode of television ever on IMDb’s Top 100 Episodes of TV.
With a current rating of 10.0/10, a legitimately perfect score, the episode has dethroned Breaking Bad‘s “Ozymandias” for the top spot on the list, and joins two other Thrones episodes in the top 10 with “The Rains of Castamere” and “Hardhome” both scoring 9.9 ratings. Choosing to aim unreasonably high, I’d say that “Battle of the Bastards” has hit its mark fairly accurately, whether you put much stock into these kinds of ratings or not.
Setting up an eventful season finale this weekend as well, “Battle of the Bastards” will likely go down as one of Thrones‘ greatest achievements. In a series that has managed to drastically change the entire television landscape over the past few years, I’d say that’s a fairly high achievement to receive as well. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go back to rewatching that mid-battle one take sequence again and again and again and again.
The next episode and season finale of Game of Thrones season six, “The Winds of Winter,” will air on HBO this Sunday night.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016