We heard at the beginning of the year that 20th Century Fox is making a movie based on Magic: The Gathering, the insanely popular card game involving planeswalkers (wizards) who battle to defeat their opponents. X-Men: Days of Future Past writer/producer Simon Kinberg is producing it, and now Deadline reports that one of the writers of HBO’s smash hit series “Game of Thrones” will be tackling the screenplay.
Bryan Cogman, who worked his way up to a writer/producer on “Game of Thrones” and who wrote this season’s memorable episode “The Laws of Gods and Men” (Tyrion’s trial), will write Magic: The Gathering. With the fantasy world inherent to the game, it shouldn’t be too much of a leap for Cogman to make from the “Game of Thrones” universe to this one, and with other another big fantasy film based on a game – Duncan Jones’ Warcraft – on the horizon, you can bet that Cogman and Fox will try to create their own unique spin on the subgenre.
Warcraft hits theaters in March of 2016, so presumably Cogman won’t have time to see how that film does at the box office before filming on Magic: The Gathering gets underway, so time will tell if audiences will flock to theaters to see these adventures played out instead of staying home and making up their own with the card game.
Are you interested in seeing a Magic: The Gathering movie?
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014