While Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is bringing Ghost Rider into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in its upcoming fourth season, it’s not bringing the version of the character that people are most familiar with to life, opting to use the Robbie Reyes iteration instead of the considerably more popular and well-known Johnny Blaze. In the comics as well, Robbie’s origin with the character involves gangland action, an accident, and the same pill cocktail that also helps Calvin Zabo turn into Mr. Hyde.
Considering that an iteration of Hyde has appeared in the show previously as well – with Kyle MacLachlan’s Cal, Daisy’s father – many fans have wondered if MacLachlan’s character will be connected at all to Reyes in the series, including a possible return appearance from the beloved actor?
While speaking with TVLine recently, Executive Producer Jed Whedon somewhat addressed the rumors, saying that the show will not be sticking entirely to Reyes’ origin story from the comics, but instead will be putting their own spin on it:
“We can’t say much about what we’re going to do with [Robbie Reyes’] origin, but we are doing our own spin on it. We don’t want people who have read the comics to know exactly what’s coming.”
Now, it should be noted that this doesn’t necessarily rule out a return from MacLachan in the show, with the outlet even mentioning breifly how much fans want the actor to come back, to which Whedon replied, “So would we.”
However, it does make Ghost Rider’s role in the new season that much more mysterious, and while we know that Chloe Bennet’s Daisy Johnson/Quake will be coming into contact with the character fairly early on in the season, whether or not he has any connections to her father in the show just seems that much more uncertain now. Considering that Ghost Rider remains one of the more beloved anti-heroes in the Marvel lore though, it’ll be interesting to see what the show’s version of his origin story ends up being.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016