In 1984, Ghostbusters hit theaters to rousing success, blowing up the box office and causing people to line up around the block to see the comedy starring “SNL” alums Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd alongside SCTV’s Harold Ramis and Rick Moranis, Alien star Sigourney Weaver, and Ernie Hudson weave their way through NYC while giving the audience some good scares and a ton of great laughs.
Thirty years later, Ghostbusters and its sequel have spawned tons of one-liners (“Don’t cross the streams,” “He slimed me,” etc), toys, collectibles, fan films, fan fiction, video games, a cartoon (“The Real Ghostbusters”), and tons of cosplay teams and fans alike turning their cars into the iconic Ecto 1. And now, those who missed the pleasure of seeing this amazing film on the big screen are getting another chance!
EW reports that on August 29th, a fully restored and remastered version of the film will hit 700 screens throughout the U.S. in celebration of its thirtieth anniversary. Special events and new collectibles are also on the way, along with a 30th anniversary edition of Ghostbusters on Blu-ray and a 25th anniversary edition of the 1989 sequel Ghostbusters II, featuring deleted scenes and new interviews with star Dan Aykroyd and director Ivan Reitman.
And for more information about Ghostbusters, check out this awesome infographic created by designer Mike Seiders:
As someone who was lucky enough to see both films in theaters as a teen, I’m very excited to see this movie once again on the big screen with friends. Are you planning on checking this one out when it returns to the big screen?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015