Mexican film director Guillermo del Toro is often seen as one of the more innovative cinematic artists of current cinema, with such beautiful films as Pan’s Labyrinth, two Hellboy films, and the imaginative Pacific Rim have all been really distinctive films, and fans continue to discuss and debate what The Hobbit trilogy could have looked like if he had maintained full control over the films. On top of that, del Toro seems like a really cool person, who has a love for video games that he’s tried to artistically contribute to for years.
Unfortunately, del Toro’s dreams for that medium have yet to be realized in any major way.
Recently, game developer Konami has had a falling out with its star developer, Hideo Kojima, the creator of the popular and acclaimed Metal Gear Solid franchise. Last year, Konami released a free demo on the PlayStation 4 simply called “P.T.,” which stood for Playable Teaser. It was an unsettling horror demo that had the player walking through a loop of a modest house’s hallways, with subtle changes, creatures, and sounds providing a genuinely unsettling experience.
Players who had the patience and foresight to find all of the clues and details to actually make it to the end of “P.T.” found out that it was a collaboration between Kojima and del Toro starring “The Walking Dead’s” Norman Reedus called Silent Hills, the next installment of the popular and engaging horror game franchise. See the trailer from the end of “P.T.” below.
Recently, del Toro spoke with IGN to talk about the collapse of Silent Hills, as well as other video game projects that he’s been involved with that were subsequently canceled. He said on Silent Hills,
What we wanted to do with the game – and we were very much in agreement on this – was to take the technology and make it as cutting-edge as we could in creating terror in the house. The idea was very, very atmosphere-drenched.
He also spoke about his experiences thus far in the video game industry, which have all been promising, but that have ultimately fallen apart.
Well, you know, I’ve tried twice and I don’t know if I’ll ever come back to the form. In one instance, the company went down, and in the second, the completely unexpected happened, which was Kojima and Konami separating. It’s kind of left me reeling.
While drama plays out between the split of Kojima from Konami, del Toro has said that a future video game effort would likely involve the storied developer. He said,
Hideo and I have been in touch. And he knows he would be the only guy I would follow to the ends of the earth on anything. I think if anything can be rescued, I will be more than happy.
He also mentioned that he hoped that Silent Hills isn’t completely dead, but as with anything, we’ll have to wait and see how it ultimately unfolds. For more on this as it (possibly) develops, keep it locked on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015