Back in April, word hit the wire that J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII, Whatever They End Up Calling It would be filming a sizable chunk of its land-based action in Abu Dhabi, meant to replicate the traditional Skywalker home planet of Tatooine. Now more news is leaking out about not only how long filming will be happening on the Tatooine set — at least three weeks — but some of what we might expect to see there.
Like a crash site.
Although lookie-loos won’t be able to see much, the outlet does apparently have some well-placed sources, that shared:
“the sets are getting closer to completion, with a ‘whole world’ having been built on an otherworldly salt lake at one location, a ‘shuttle-like’ spacecraft, a large tower, a ‘big, centuries-old-looking market,’ something the crew are reportedly referring to as the ‘alien house’ and 10 to 15 ‘really fast buggies’ powered by jet engines (landspeeders of Tatooine fame from the previous films, perhaps?)
We have also been told that two lorries of explosives have been brought to one of the sites under high security and that a blast crater has been created. So, it looks like the action in Abu Dhabi could be set to feature a major battle or spacecraft crash of some description.”
As of now, “the finishing touches” are being put on the set and a few of the cast members are alread on site in order to refine their dune-driving skills, though there’s no word on exactly who is brushing up on their speeder speeding just yet (please say Adam Driver, please say Adam Driver).
What (or who) would you like to see crash on Tatooine?
The film is set to star Star Wars newbies like John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow, along with original cast members Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker.
Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters on December 18, 2015.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014