Fans have been waiting and waiting for a Hellboy 3 to hit theaters. But director Guillermo del Toro has bad news: It ain’t happening. Likely ever.
After weeks of teasing fans about the possibilities of bringing Ron Perlman and his hellish crew back, del Toro made it clear on his Twitter feed Tuesday the project was not going to happen.
Hellboy 3 Sorry to report: Spoke w all parties. Must report that 100% the sequel will not happen. And that is to be the final thing about it
— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) February 21, 2017
Just last month, del Toro offered a poll on his Twitter feed, saying if at least 100,000 people participated, he would approach both Perlman and comic book creator Mike Mignola. The poll easily exceeded that number, so the director said he would follow through.
It’s unclear what happened during – or after – those discussions that shot the idea down, however. Even The Hollywood Reporter had little room to speculate.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army actually nearly doubled its $85 million budget with a global box office haul of $160.4 million in 2008, according to The Numbers. It also was a vast improvement on the 2004 original, which earned just under $100 million worldwide against a budget of $66 million.
It seems the biggest obstacle del Toro has, at least according to a Reddit interview in 2014, is money – you know, getting someone to pony up a budget to get the film made.
“We have gone through basically every studio and asked for financing, and they are not interested. I think that the first movie made its budget back, and a little bit of profit, but then it was very big on video and DVD. The story repeated itself with the second already, it made its money back at the box office, but a small margin of profit in the release of the theatrical print, but was very big on DVD and video.
“Sadly now, from a business point of view, all the studios know is that you don’t have that safety net of the DVD and video, so they view the project as dangerous.”
Perlman, whose Amazon series Hand of God is coming to an end, took the news about Hellboy’s fate in stride.
Superhero seeks employment. Likes, pizza, cats, and the Marx bros. https://t.co/TnWaFlE3tx
— Ron Perlman (@perlmutations) February 21, 2017
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- Finn Jones Defends ‘Iron Fist’ Against Bad Reviews - March 13, 2017
- ‘The 100’ Scrapes Up Fifth Season For The CW - March 13, 2017
- ‘Kong’ Crowned King Of Weekend Box Office - March 12, 2017
- ‘Avatar 2’ In 2018? ‘Not Happening,’ Cameron Says - March 10, 2017
- ‘Atlanta’ Star Zazie Beetz Plays Domino In ‘Deadpool 2’ - March 10, 2017