Some dads are content to just take random candids of their kids out on the playground or as they blow out the candles on their birthday cakes…but not Bill Gekas.
This Melbourne-based, self-taught photographer says he learned the basics of the craft back in the days of 35mm film photography and after using an analog SLR through the 90′s, switched over to digital in 2005.
But here’s the fun part…
Gekas uses that knowledge by taking portrait-style pics (a.k.a. portraiture) of his 5-year-old daughter (name unknown) posing in variations of classic paintings by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Raphael, Velasquez and beyond.
Gekas says the reason he loves portrait photography is because of the “emotive, atmospheric, almost surreal nature of it. The key to executing a shoot like this is to have it all planned before the subject enters the scene, the lighting, props, composition etc. From thought to finished post processed shot ready for display a typical shot can average a total of 8 hours.”
This means he and his little girl spend hours of quality time together every shoot and judging from the amount of images I saw on his official website, it’s more than evident she loves “Daddy/Daughter Time” too.
I went to his site and was drawn in by every single one of his 63 images and as beautiful as they ALL are, this is the one I loved the most…
I would buy and frame the Joker’s Child print and make it my “conversation piece” because it is friggin’ AMAZING.
If you want to see more of Gekas’ fantastic images of his daughter in some of the world’s best paintings, RUN don’t walk to his official website; you won’t be sorry.
Trust me, I’m a professional.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015