The Indiana Jones trilogy has been mesmerizing audiences since Raiders of the Lost Ark premiered back on June 12, 1981, and it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down. Indy is as popular as ever, with fans dressing up as their favorite characters at Comic-Cons, and new generations being exposed to hero with the bullwhip.
Now, more than 31 years after its original release, three follow-up flicks, a television show, books, comics, and toys, Indiana Jones, and his friends (and enemies) are back on the big screen for one week only at select IMAX theaters around the country. If you thought watching Indy run from a giant boulder was scary the first time around, imagine it coming toward you on an IMAX screen.
The IMAX shows ties in with the release of Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures on Blu-Ray, which is available on September 18.
According to the IMAX site, the week-long celebration of one of film’s most dashing do-gooders “has been digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience.”
To get into the Indy spirit, here are some fun facts about the four films:
- Tom Selleck was originally signed on to play Indiana, but (thankfully) his schedule conflicted with his television show, Magnam P.I. Can you imagine Professor Jones trying to sneak past Nazis and other bad guys with a ‘stache like that?
- George Lucas and Steven Spielberg first started talking about creating the Indy character while vacationing together in Hawaii.
- George Lucas named the title character after his dog. Willie Scott and Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were also named after people’s pets.
- Harrison Ford ad-libbed several scenes in Raiders including the famous one where he shots a swordsman. Originally, the scene was going to involve his famous whip, but Ford couldn’t get the shot.
- George Lucas’ other famous franchise makes cameos throughout the series. For example, the airplane at the beginning of Raiders is called “OB-CPO” after the Star Wars characters Obi-Wan Kenobi and C-3PO.
Raiders of the Lost Ark is playing in select IMAX theaters playing now through September 13. Check HERE to see if it’s playing in your town.
How has Indiana affected your life? Let me know your thoughts.
Latest posts by maggiegrainger (see all)
- Indiana Jones Denied Tenure - November 21, 2012
- Superman Quits His Day Job - October 26, 2012
- Librarian Gets Cool Geeky Tat - October 18, 2012
- Ghost Singles Helps You Make A Love Connection With The Dead - October 11, 2012
- Fifth Element Gets the Stage Treatment - October 5, 2012