When fans hear the name Rob McElhenney, most think of Mac from “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” doing crazy things like purposely gaining 50 lbs. in order for his very vain character to become “Fat Mac.” But if you paired his name with “family friendly action adventure film,” you’d probably say “Whaaaaaaaa?”
But Hollywood has proven that anything is possible, and that is exactly what is about to happen.
Deadline has the news that McElhenney has closed a deal (and could be making his directing debut) for Legendary Pictures with a new film called Figment, about a boy with a vivid imagination and his family who are “thrown for a loop when their greatest fears come to life,” with McElhenney also tied in to write and produce the script, which has a “Goonies and E.T. kind of feel” to it.
How did this happen? It seems that McElhenney did it the old-fashioned way by going to Legendary with a four-minute test reel and very convincing 20-minute pitch (and also being Mac from “It’s Always Sunny” probably helped, too) and so it seems that Legendary’s given him a “potential seven figure commitment” and will produce alongside McElhenney and 3 Arts’ Nicholas Frenkel (who reps McElhenney).
This definitely sounds like something the writer/actor/producer would do; McElhenney’s success with “It’s Always Sunny” came from his DIY spirit (after his frustration in going out on auditions that came up fruitless) in creating the show with castmates Glenn Howerton and Charlie Day to shoot “Sunny” themselves and after pitching to seven other networks, it found a happy home with FX, and the rest is history.
I don’t know about you, but I’m super excited to see what Mac can do behind the camera! Let us know what you think below.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015