Earlier this year, the world was shocked and saddened to hear about the sudden and unfortunate passing of Anton Yelchin, in a freak accident at his Hollywood home. Not only had the actor established himself as one of the most talented young actors of his generation, but had a string of upcoming projects that he was working on as well, which just continued to promise an even more impressive career from the young star.
One of the biggest questions following Yelchin’s death as well, was how the future Star Trek films would address the actor’s passing, and whether or not Chekov would be written out of the films, or if he would be recast.
Personally, I was hoping for the first option, since Yelchin has done such a great job as the character, it just felt wrong to think of him being recast now. While speaking with the Toronto Sun as well, J.J. Abrams seemed to feel the same way:
“I would say there’s no replacing him. There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”
When asked whether or not the next movie would have a death or funeral scene for the character instead, Abrams replied:
“I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it.”
There’s some emotional intentional and unintentional tributes to Yelchin in Beyond, and I couldn’t agree with Abrams more when it comes to this. Yelchin has made a last impression on this franchise with his turn as the character, best to leave it as it is. Out of respect more than anything.
Yelchin’s last performance as Chekov can be seen in Star Trek Beyond on July 22nd.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016