One of the biggest unanswered questions coming out of The Force Awakens last year, was who exactly the Knights of Ren were, the dark side organization that Kylo Ren was apparently the master of. Rey briefly saw them in a vision, one we can assume featured the Knights slaughtering Luke’s new generation of Jedi, though even that was left unknown for the time being.
We think that the Knights of Ren are going to be featured in next year’s Episode VIII, though the capacity of their role in the story is still unknown, as well as whether or not we’ll ever truly learn the history behind the order.
While recently speaking with Collider though, Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams said that he’d like to see the Knights of Ren be given the spotlight in one of the planned Star Wars anthology films:
“I gotta say [Lucasfilm president] Kathy Kennedy, who’s running it all, she seems to be pushing all the right buttons. There isn’t something that I’d love to see—I guess the one thing I would say is there’s a Knights of Ren story that I think would be pretty cool to tell.”
This is interesting, because it not only means there’s enough history behind the order to warrant a spin-off film, but also hints that there’s still a lot about the Knights of Ren that we may not know, even by the time new trilogy ends.
All in all though, when it comes to the dark side characters in Episode VIII, they’re maybe the biggest question mark right now. We really have no idea how much of Kylo Ren, Supreme Leader Snoke, or the Knights of Ren that we’re going to see in the film, if they’ll have a shared presence with the rest of the characters or will only appear sporadically throughout. We know that Kylo is heading to finish his training with Snoke, but whether or not we see that actually happen, and see the Knights of Ren be involved, will have to wait to be seen.
In the meantime, Star Wars: Episode VIII is set to hit theatres on December 15th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016