Is life imitating fan fiction? Fans have long lamented the romantic pairing of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter books, wondering why ‘The One who Lived” didn’t end up with brainy hottie Hermione. Now it looks like author J.K. Rowling herself is admitting that maybe it wasn’t the best choice. Cue internet Muggles everywhere saying “I told you so!”
“If I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”
Even Watson seemed on board with the idea, saying in the interview:
“I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”
Poor Ron! Can’t he have one thing that Harry can’t?
What do you think about J.K.’s revelation? Let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Desi Jedeikin (see all)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 10 Recap: “The Children” - June 16, 2014
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 9 Recap: “The Watchers on the Wall” - June 9, 2014
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 8 Recap: “The Mountain And The Viper” - June 2, 2014
- Adam McKay Probably Won’t Direct ‘Ant-Man’ - June 1, 2014
- James Mangold In Talks To Direct Biopic About Football Star Joe Namath - May 29, 2014