In addition to promising a respectful remake of the original film yesterday, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson said that this week would bring some possible exciting casting announcements for the Jake Kasdan-directed Jumanji remake, based on the beloved original novel by Chris Van Allsburg. It looks like in addition to confirmation of Kevin Hart as well, the movie star has lived up to his promise here.
Now, TheWrap is reporting that Kung Fu Panda and Goosebumps star, Jack Black, is currently in talks to join The Rock and Hart in the film, which is said to have five lead roles this time around, as opposed to three in the original film. No details regarding his possible role were revealed however.
The newest adaptation of the novel was penned by screenwriters Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner, with production on the movie reportedly set to begin later this August in Hawaii as well, which could at the very least, mean good things for the film’s jungle visuals and locations.
Much like his Big Trouble in Little China remake though, there doesn’t seem to be much good will surrounding this remake if we’re being honest, caused mostly by the original’s beloved status amongst many moviegoers, and the unfortunate passing of Robin Williams almost two years ago now. Nonetheless, the remake will be produced by Matt Tolmach and will provide a modern update on the beloved material. Whether you even wanted one or not.
The Jumanji remake is set to hit theatres on July 28th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016