While he’s currently set to direct the final Wolverine film starring Hugh Jackman with a July 2017 release date over the horizon, director James Mangold has reportedly signed on to take a Jules Verne-guided adventure behind one of the famed creator’s most memorable characters.
Deadline is reporting that The Wolverine director has signed on to helm Disney’s long in development Captain Nemo film, which will tell the origin story behind the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea antihero. Those who are familiar with the property as well will know that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has already seen its fair share of onscreen adaptations throughout the years, although Disney’s 1954 film is probably the most notable of them all.
The Captain Nemo origin story has been circling the industry for several years now as well, with David Fincher on board to direct the film at one point even, and Brad Pitt rumored for the titular role as well. At the time the film had a script written by Scott J. Burns (The Bourne Ultimatum) and Andrew Kevin Walker (Se7en) though, and has since received a rewrite from Sebastian Gutierrez (Snakes on a Plane, Gothika), and no, I don’t know what says about the project’s current quality.
Fellow X-Men director, Bryan Singer, is currently set to direct the newest 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea adaptation as well, though you can probably expect to see Singer’s film before Mangold’s, since production on the former’s is set to begin this Fall, and Mangold’s final Wolverine film isn’t even set to hit theatres until summer of next year. There’s no word on how deep or insightive of an origin story the film will be too, but Mangold has proven himself to be a capable director on more-than-one occasion, that I think he shouldn’t have much trouble here.
The Captain Nemo film is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more update — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016