M. Night Shyamalan is a director that’s been in desperate need of a comeback for several years now, and after his divisive last outing, The Visit, it looks like Shyamalan is coming back to the theatres next year with what could be his best film in years, or one of the most unintentionally funny. Either way, it looks like it’ll at least have a fairly stellar performance from James McAvoy as the lead.
Following a group of girls kidnapped by a stranger, their situation becomes even more terrifying and unpredictable when they realize that their captor is a man suffering from multiple-personality-disorder, with a total of twenty-three different personalities living in his mind.
Check out the eerie, unsettling first trailer below:
Now, like a majority of Shyamalan’s films (see The Happening), it looks like Split‘s either going to be truly terrifying and filled to the brim with tension, or it’ll be one of the funniest movies of 2017. The early January release date certainly doesn’t do much to boost confidence in it, though having both Anya Taylor-Joy and James McAvoy as its two leads does make me somewhat hopeful in its overall quality.
Like all of the director’s movies, I imagine there will be more than a few twists along the way, especially with a villain that offers so many possibilities for terror and surprise at his disposal. At the very least, this could end up being one of the surprise hits of next year, or one of the biggest disappointments. Here’s to hoping for the former.
Split is set to hit theatres on January 20th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016