While on the media tour for Insidious 2 (and heading into production of Fast & Furious 7), James Wan essentially said that he wanted to retire from the horror genre. Here’s his quote: “I’m going to go on record and say I am finished with the horror genre. Conjuring and Insidious 2 are my two last scary movies.”
But that’s not the case anymore! Horror fans, rejoice! Wan is returning to the fold!
Yesterday, New Line announced that they pushed the release date for The Conjuring 2 from 2015 to sometime in 2016, and today it was revealed that the reason for the delay was specifically for Wan to return and direct the next chapter in the series based on the files of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren (below with Wan).
Deadline says Wan will begin shooting The Conjuring 2 next summer after he finishes up Fast & Furious 7, and he’ll also “develop and produce modest budget films in the science fiction, horror, and comedy genres” with Atomic Monster (Wan’s production company) and New Line Cinema.
With the 10th anniversary of Saw getting a one-off release in theaters this Halloween and hints from Wan and the film’s producers about a possible NEW Saw film, it seems like “everything’s coming up Milhouse” for horror fans, and more importantly, fans of Wan’s infusion of Asian horror sensibilities with some good old fashioned blood and guts. But I also wonder if the stress of making F&F 7 (and the death of star Paul Walker) left him with a stressed and heavy heart. Maybe (much like Linus) Wan just needs to hug the security blanket that is the horror genre for JUST a couple of movies.
Whatever it is, I look forward to seeing what Wan has up his sleeve. How about you?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015