Sometimes, the jokes write themselves.
Former Adventureland costars Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart are now set to bring their low-key (and sometimes questionable) charms to a new film that sounds like it will suit their often-lackadaisical performances quite well. It’s a film about stoners. Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart are going to star in a film about stoners. Thank you, Hollywood.
The duo will pair up for American Ultra, described by THR as an “action comedy” that comes with a pedigree with a weird mix of the party hearty and the uniquely ambitious. (Yes, we’re telling you that the Eisenberg/Stewart stoner action comedy might be much more than meets the eye.)
The film will be directed by Nima Nourizadeh, the director of skin crawling smash Project X (just think about the post-party clean up, and your skin will itch, too) and comes complete with a script by Chronicle scribe Max Landis. American Ultra sets Eisenberg as “an unmotivated stoner named Mike, who lives with his girlfriend Phoebe (Stewart) in a small, sleepy town. One night, their lives take an unexpected turn when Mike’s past comes back to haunt him, and he becomes the target of a government operation set to wipe him out.”
American Ultra sounds like a no-middle-ground affair, a feature that will either be ungodly embarrassing or completely hilarious and wacky. Of course, it remains to be seen what the final product will be, but THR turned to one amped-up customer, who said of the film, “Simply put, American Ultra will be the most fun you can possibly have in a movie theater without the use of drugs, fireworks or canola oil.” (Try to contain your shock that the quoted individual here is one of the film’s producers, Anthony Bregman.)
The film is set to start shooting in April.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014