John Barrowman’s Malcolm Merlyn has always had a strong presence in the Arrow world, from the beginning of season one when he was revealed to be the season’s main villain, all the way until the fourth season following returns and status upgrades. After having a notable role to play in last year’s The Flash and Arrow crossover (which acted as a backdoor pilot to Legends of Tomorrow as well), it looks like Merlyn’s role in the DC TV universe is going to continue to grow from here on out.
Similar to the deal that Wentworth Miller (Captain Cold) struck with the network, TVLine is reporting that John Barrowman has been bumped up to series regular on not just Arrow moving forwards, but every DC show on The CW now, which allows for more crossovers involving the character. That also includes Supergirl as well, which will be premiering its second season on the network later this Fall, after moving over from CBS.
Back in May, executive producer Greg Berlanti commented on Wentworth Miller’s deal as well, saying:
“What it really emulates to us is the comic books themselves, where there really are a cast of characters. In success, we hope to continue with other characters finding their way across all the shows.”
We can only assume that Merlyn is likely going to have a large role to play in this year’s mega-crossover between the four shows as well, or since the deal has been made, that there is some kind of plan when it comes to utilizing Barrowman and the character more in the other shows as well. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see for now.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016