John Hillcoat’s Prohibition drama Lawless was one of the most underrated movies of 2012, and the Aussie director is hard at work on his follow-up feature Triple Nine. We wrote about the heist thriller when Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael B. Jordan, and Casey Affleck came on board in December, but now a few more big names have joined the cast (and subsequently made us want to see this film even more).
Variety reports that Oscar winner Kate Winslet is in talks to join the movie, and in a post about how Open Road has snagged distribution rights for the movie, Deadline offers a slew of new cast members, including “Breaking Bad” alum Aaron Paul, Batman vs. Superman star Gal Gadot, End of Watch star Michael Pena, and Warm Bodies’ Teresa Palmer. This cast is crazy talented, and I’m kind of in shock that they’ll all be in the same movie together – let alone one with a guy like Hillcoat at the helm.
Deadline has a pretty solid synopsis of Triple Nine:
In the drama, a crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist. The only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down”. Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck action packed finale filled with double-crosses, greed and revenge.
No word yet on who Need For Speed star Aaron Paul will play (or Winslet, Palmer, and Pena, for that matter), but Affleck is lined up to play the targeted officer, Jordan will play a double-crossing street-wise cop, and Ejiofor is playing a career criminal who masterminds the whole thing. Man, this sounds like a lot of fun. Consider my ticket purchased.
This movie may not be a sequel, prequel, reboot, or superhero movie, but with the talent associated with this project, it’s definitely one of our most anticipated films of 2015. Thoughts?
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Christian Bale Talks ‘Exodus: Gods and Kings’ + Watch A New Trailer - October 1, 2014
- ‘Angry Birds’ Movie Casts Jason Sudeikis, Peter Dinklage, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph & More - October 1, 2014
- ‘Community’ Loses Another Main Cast Member - September 30, 2014
- Theaters Playing Hardball Against Netflix & Weinstein’s ‘Crouching Tiger’ Strategy - September 30, 2014
- Netflix & The Weinstein Co. Will Release ‘Crouching Tiger’ Sequel on Netflix & IMAX Simultaneously - September 30, 2014