No, no, Joseph Gordon-Levitt has not signed up for a sequel to the Keanu Reeves-starring winery-set romance A Walk in the Clouds (but, hey, dare to dream), instead the actor will take on a high-flying part in the true-life tale of Philippe Petit in To Walk the Clouds. Robert Zemeckis will direct the film (co-written with Christopher Browne), which traces the adventures of the French high wire artist who quite notably (and quite illegally) crossed between the World Trade Center’s Twin Towers back in 1974.
Deadline describes the film’s plot as such: “the actual tight rope walk, called the ‘artistic crime of the century’– doesn’t occur until the third act of a film, which is one part protagonist chasing a crazy impossible dream, and another part caper pic…Much of the movie is about how Petit, guided by a mentor, managed with a small band of relatives and his girlfriend to carefully plan this, sneaking up to the top of the Towers at night.” That caper bit will apparently be styled as a bit of a heist-styled subplot, centered on how “Petit and his cohorts snuck to the top of the towers and managed to shoot a line across and [got] the rigging ready in time for Petit to shock the world in what is also a love letter to the Twin Towers and a simpler time gone by.”
The film is also reportedly set to be a “3D experiential film that will be done with the spectacle of Avatar, Life of Pi and Gravity.” (Here’s hoping that Zemeckis doesn’t break out any of his terrifying mo-cap for the feature.)
The film’s title echoes the title of Petit’s memoirs, “To Reach the Clouds,” in a charming nod to the man himself.
If Petit’s story sounds sort of familiar, his most famous walk was the subject of the 2008 documentary, Man on Wire. If you want to get caught up on the incredible story, the film is available to watch on Netflix, and you can even check out the film’s trailer below:
To Walk the Clouds is set to start filming in May.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014