Not too long ago, we reported that director Josh Trank had decided to leave the Star Wars Anthology spin-off film that he had been developing at Disney. The film, which the public still knows very little about, was going to be the Chronicle director’s biggest challenge yet after the release of this summer’s Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox. In the immediate aftermath of the news came a lot of theories to fill the void due to the lack of a lot of information, and some of those “theories” turned into unfounded rumors, and Trank — along with writer/producer Simon Kinberg — felt compelled to address them.
In a recent interview to promote the upcoming release of Fantastic Four with the LA Times‘ “Hero Complex” blog, Trank and Kinberg open up for the first time about the director leaving the project behind, and the rumors and vitriol that were formed in the wake of the event. Trank detailed that his decision to leave was far from an easy one, but that it would also be difficult for him to stay on, as well.
I want to do something original after this because I’ve been living under public scrutiny, as you’ve seen, for the last four years of my life,” he said. “And it’s not healthy for me right now in my life. I want to do something that’s below the radar. [...] I have a great relationship with everyone at Lucasfilm and with [studio development VP Kiri Hart]. And they all understood it because this whole experience for me has been very psychologically hard.
Simon Kinberg — whom some of the rumors have said was part of the reason Trank walked away from Star Wars — came to Trank’s defense, denouncing the anecdotes that have come up.
I’ve been around some version of this for a long time. This, I would say, is particularly cruel. I haven’t really seen this level of vehemence against a filmmaker. And it’s surreal and unfair.
Trank then stated that any rumors about some kind of discontent that the two have for each other isn’t true.
Simon and I have become closer friends through this. To have the rest of the world – other than the people who know us – think that we’re in some blood feud with each other over something… It feels sometimes like I’m living in a Paddy Chayefsky script or something like that. Every misconception that could possibly be made about this has been made to a hilariously satirical degree. And it’s people who haven’t met me before. If they met me – I don’t know, I feel like I’m a pretty harmless person.
Disney has yet to announce any details related to Star Wars films other than The Force Awakens or Rogue One. Fantastic Four hits theaters on August 7th. For more on these projects as they develop, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015