Kathryn Bigelow is, for my money, one of the most skilled directors in Hollywood today. With both Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker (which admittedly has lot a majority of its appeal over time), Bigelow has announced herself as a force to be reckoned with behind the camera. Following the recent announcement that writer/director J.C. Chandor would be taking over on Triple Frontier as well, a project that Bigelow had been attached to for some time, the future seems mysterious and open for the veteran filmmaker.
What has been made clear though is her desire to work with Zero Dark Thirty screenwriter, Mark Boal, again though, and it looks like they may have found their next project together.
It has been announced that the Zero Dark Thirty duo will be headlining a new, currently untitled film set during the 1967 riots in Detroit, Michigan. The film will be produced by Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures and is set to begin production this summer, hoping for a 2017 release date, which will also mark the 50th anniversary of the riots. Bigelow will direct with Boal penning the screenplay.
While the film’s story details are still being kept under wraps, the film is said to be a “crime drama set against the backdrop of Detroit’s devastating riots that took place over five haunting summer days in 1967,” and will delve into the ingrained racism of urban Detroit.
Considering Bigelow’s tact when it comes to dealing with both political topics and historical events, this sounds like something that she could really run away with. Her previous collaborations with Boal have proven successful as well, and seeing the two of them take on a time period and setting like this so fraught with tension and chaos, could make for an extremely interesting viewing experience.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016