This year, Pete’s Dragon proved that sometimes remakes aren’t necessarily a bad thing, taking one of the more obscure Disney live-action films from the 1970s and bringing it to life once again for a new generation, with a much different story than the original film. As the studio moves forward with more live-action reimaginings and remakes as well, of both classic and obscure films from their collection, it’ll be interesting to see just how precious to their previous incarnations the new films end up being.
One of the more interesting projects that the studio has in development too is The Nutcracker, another one of their more obscure films that’s already assembled an interesting cast for itself with Misty Copeland, Morgan Freeman, and Interstellar‘s Mackenzie Foy.
Now, Variety is reporting that Keira Knightley has joined the cast of the film as the Sugar Plum Fairy as well, a character who rules the Land of Sweets while the Nutcracker Prince is away. The Hundred-Foot Journey‘s Lasse Hallstrom is set to direct the film, fully titled The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, which will tell the story of young girl whose nutcracker comes to life, revealing himself to be a prince from a distant magical land.
As time has progressed, Disney’s live-action reimaginings of their classic films have seemingly gotten better and better after a bit of a rough start with films like Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent, before going on to release movies like Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and possibly their best to date in Pete’s Dragon. At this point, it seems like the studio is on a hotter streak than practically any other in the industry right now too, and The Nutcracker sounds just strange and magical enough, that it could end up being one of the more interesting blockbuster films of its respective year.
In terms of this casting though, any time Keira Knightley is added to a movie it’s a good thing, did you really expect us to say anything else?
The Nutracker and the Four Realms does not currently have a release date.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016