If The CW ever repeats its massive DC Comics crossover event it did last fall … Kevin Smith wants to be a part of it.
Smith, best known for cult film classics like Dogma and Clerks (and for being the Silent Bob side of the Jay and Silent Bob duo) told ComicBooks.com writer Russ Burlingame that he wants to be one of the directors of the next crossover event, even if one of the episodes is called “The Death of Kevin Smith.”
The director said he isn’t even waiting to be asked after doing two episodes of The Flash and Supergirl. Smith already reached out to Andrew Kreisberg, the executive producer in charge of not only those The CW shows, but also Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.
“After I watched their crossover, I said, ‘Please, dude, please, next year, just give me a taste of that crossover. I just want to be involved in one of them. I don’t care which one.'”
But Smith knows that while doing such a high-profile event for the network would be fun, it also will be a ton of work.
“They look like a nightmare to shoot, I’ll be honest with you. I did the ‘Killer Frost’ episode (of The Flash) right before they went into the crossovers, and the crossover schedule, you’re talking about four different shows when you’re swapping performers and characters and stuff like that. It’s a nightmare on all the (assistant directors) as they have to try and figure out how to make this all work.
“That being said, look at the end results, dude. That was absolutely thrilling to watch all four of those shows cross over.”
While The CW chose to do a special crossover event for its comic book series, Netflix – which has a number of Marvel properties like Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones – is taking a different approach. Instead of a handful of episodes, it’s actually doing an ensemble series known as The Defenders which will premiere sometime this year on Netflix.
The DC crossover was a ratings success for The CW, and it’s expected they will try it again next fall. And Smith wants to ensure Kriesberg knows he’s serious.
“I’m asking, I’m asking. I don’t know if they’ll let me, but believe me, I’ve already put in the request.”
Smith will have a little extra time. Just after Thanksgiving, the director bowed out of showrunning a proposed television adaptation of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension after MGM Television Entertainment filed a pre-emptive lawsuit against the 1984 film writer Earl Mac Rauch and director W.D. Richter, looking to re-enforce its television rights to the film.
At the time, Smith said the lawsuit caught him by surprise, especially since he had expected to work with both Rauch and Richter to adapt the concept to television.
“Without those two dudes, I don’t fall in love with that property. I don’t want to make anything unless those two dudes are involved. They had a vision. Like, all we’re doing is taking their amazing vision and making a TV show of it.”
That court case is slowly making its way through federal court, getting assigned to Terry J. Hatter Jr., earlier this month. The 83-year-old judge was appointed to the bench by President Jimmy Carter in 1979.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Magically Turns Dumbledore Into Jude Law - April 14, 2017
- Josh Brolin Pulls Double Duty, Taking On Cable - April 13, 2017
- Worf Actor Rejects ‘Discovery’ Appearance Over Money - April 13, 2017
- The Tricorder Is Here: Self-Funded ER Doc Wins X Prize - April 13, 2017
- ‘Boss Baby’ Still Box Office Boss … But Not For Long - April 10, 2017