Universal is moving forward with their plans to reboot their monsters universe, hoping to create a cinematic world something like the MCU, only with some of the most iconic monsters in cinema history. As of right now, the studio is planning on releasing new films from the Dracula, Wolf Man, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, and Van Helsing franchises over the next few years, along with a Bride of Frankenstein reboot that could feature Angelina Jolie in the title role.
The first installment in this new, ambitious universe though will be a 2017 reboot of The Mummy franchise, and it looks like Universal has just tapped one of the most exciting young actresses in Hollywood as their newest onscreen Mummy.
According to a new report from The Hollywood Reporter, Kingsman: The Secret Service breakout star Sofia Boutella is officially in talks to star in the 2017 reboot as the iconic movie monster. The film is set to be helmed by Alex Kurtzman, and will take the iconic character into the modern day world.
This comes after some recent reports pointed towards Tom Cruise also starring in the film, as the protagonist set to take on Boutella’s Mummy. No official plot details from the film have been revealed up until this point, but it’s safe to say that the film will likely try and plant the seeds for several of Universal’s other monster franchises.
Boutella has been on a bit of a career high ever since her role as Gazelle in Kingsman earlier this year, which helped her to land an unknown role in next year’s Star Trek Beyond, and is also set to star in the film adaptation of The Coldest City. Considering how kick ass Boutella ended up being in Kingsman too, as well as the other talent involved in the project, Universal might actually be off to a solid start with this reboot.
The Mummy reboot is set to hit theatres on March 24th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016