Continuing the recent trend that’s running the TV world, FOX is currently in development on a new Lethal Weapon TV series, which will bring back the franchise’s lead characters, this time on the small screen. It’s just one of a number of iconic franchises and properties from the 80s and 90s that are currently being revamped for the television world, but this one seems to cut closer to home than the rest.
Now, FOX has ordered a Pilot episode for the series, and it looks like they may have already recast one half of the franchise’s popular lead duo.
The network has signed Damon Wayans Sr., known for his In Living Color fame, to play the role of Roger Murtaugh, originally played by Danny Glover in the films opposite Mel Gilbson’s Martin Riggs. The series will be written by Matt Miller, who worked on episodes of both Forever and Chuck, with the pilot set to be directed by McG… because if you can’t have Richard Donner, I guess he’s the next best thing, right?
The official synopsis for the series has been revealed as well, and spoiler alert – it sounds pretty damn familiar:
“When Texas cop and former Navy SEAL Martin Riggs suffers the loss of his wife and baby, he moves to Los Angeles to start anew. There, he gets partnered with LAPD detective Roger Murtaugh, who, having recently suffered a “minor” heart attack, must avoid any stress in his life.”
Wayans Sr. is a talented actor in his own right, but he’ll have a long road ahead of him if he wants to try and recapture the same magic and tone that Glover brought to that role. There’s no word on who will be playing Riggs at the moment, but after shows like Limitless and Minority Report, as well as the upcoming Training Day and Friday the 13th series, I’m just gonna sit back and hope that this reboot/adaptation turns out to have been treated with more care than it currently sounds like.
The Lethal Weapon TV series is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016