Well, I guess it was going to happen sooner or later.
FOX’s Lethal Weapon TV series has made some remarkable amounts of progress over the past few weeks, after signing actor Damon Wayans Sr. as Roger Murtaugh, who was originally played by Danny Glover in the film series, and Jordan Brewster as one of the series’ female leads, the reboot has finally found the other half of its lead cop duo.
The network has officially announced that Rectify actor Clayne Crawford will be playing Martin Riggs in the series, a role made famous by Mel Gibson in the original four films. McG will direct the pilot episode of the series, with Matt Miller writing (Forever). Shane Black and director Richard Donner will not be involved in the series.
The series will follow Murtaugh, a veteran LAPD detective recovering from a heart attack, and Martin Riggs, who moves to Los Angeles from Texas following the tragic deaths of his wife and child. The two end up partnered together, with Riggs’ reckless, near-suicidal attitude clashing violently against Murtaugh’s dreams of some peace and quiet.
As someone that’s been a proud proponent of Sundance’s Rectify for years now (it honestly might just be the best show on television right now), I’ve been lucky enough to witness Crawford’s impressive onscreen talents through his work as Teddy in the series, so it’s not even that I’m necessarily all that opposed to this recasting, as much as I just wholeheartedly wish this reboot series wasn’t happening at all.
If they were going to recast Riggs though, Crawford is an interesting and talented choice. I just wish he wasn’t going to get to showcase said talents to a wider audience in a reboot to one of the most beloved action franchises of all time. But who knows? That could just be me.
The Lethal Weapon TV series is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016