Back at the end of July, director Rian Johnson officially wrapped principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VIII, moving into the post-production phase on the film. Despite finishing filming all of the scenes with the film’s main cast however, it looks like he has yet to shoot scenes with some of the film’s mo-cap characters, with one in specific recently revealed.
While speaking with Collider at TIFF, Lupita Nyong’o revealed that she has yet to work with Johnson on the film, saying that the filming of her scenes is still in her future as of right now:
“I haven’t worked with him yet; I’ve yet to shoot. That’s in my future.”
Now, this does come as a bit of a shock considering Johnson teased the character’s return several months ago with a behind-the-scenes photo, but at the same time, it’s not all that surprising either, especially considering that Nyong’o’s Maz Kanata is an entirely CGI character, similar to Andy Serkis’ Supreme Leader Snoke.
Andy Serkis revealed back in March that he hadn’t read the script for the film either, despite how far into production the film already was at that time, and while we’re fairly certain that he’s shot scenes for the film since then, it’s also assumed that Snoke is going to have a much larger role in Episode VIII than he did in The Force Awakens, whereas Maz may have a similarly-sized role this time around as well.
Again, considering how these productions and the mo-cap process goes, this isn’t anything to be all that surprised about in the end, though we can’t help but wish Nyong’o had revealed when exactly she’ll be filming her scenes with Johnson for the movie. We’ve still got a year and a couple months to go until Episode VIII hits theatres though, so I imagine we’ll get at least a few more updates from Nyong’o on her work for the film sometime between now and then.
Star Wars: Episode VIII is set to hit theatres on December 15th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016