Mad Max: Fury Road was one of the most critically-acclaimed action films well… ever. George Miller’s apocalyptic, mayhem-filled masterpiece was one of the biggest breakout hits of the year last year as well, and ever since it’s release, fans of the franchise have been dying to know when they can expect to return to Miller’s unique onscreen world again. Though at this point, it seems like Miller himself isn’t even positive.
However, a new rumor running around online could reveal an exciting, and unexpected possibility already in the works for the franchise’s next installment. Those of you out there hoping to see more from Charlize Theron’s Furiosa may be in for a sweet surprise here as well.
The Herald Sun is reporting that a “highly placed onset source” has told them that a new prequel to Fury Road, titled Mad Max: The Wasteland, set to be directed by George Miller, is “gearing up” right now and “could start as soon as later this year.” Keep in mind as well, that Miller himself has even mentioned that the next film in the franchise could be called The Wasteland.
The report goes to state that filming will take place at the Broken Hill Film Studio, the fifth largest film studio in Australia. Apparently, The Wasteland will “focus on the backstory of Furiosa,” the beloved breakout character from Fury Road last year. Since Tom Hardy is signed on for multiple films as well, the report mentions that he will be appearing in it as well.
Now, make sure to take all of this with a very large grain of salt for the time being, since no one involved in Fury Road has even hinted at this happening recently. With all of that being said though, this does seem to jive with some of what Miller has said previously, and could be a legitimate, organic reaction to the high praise that both Fury Road and the character of Furiosa received last year. Here’s to hoping, at least.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016