Just a few days ago, it was revealed that Mad Men and Community star Alison Brie would be making her return to live-action television with Netflix’s GLOW (or Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling), the newest show from executive producer Jenji Kohan (Orange is the New Black), based on the 80s all-women wrestling league of the same name. Pitched as a comedy, it sounds like exactly the kind of thing you’d expect to come from Kohan’s camp.
Now, it looks like the show will feature yet another return-to-television as well, in a bit of casting news that anyone who’s ever listened to WTF with Marc Maron will recognize as probably nothing less than pitch-perfect.
TVLine is reporting that following the end of his IFC semi-autobiographical show, Marc Maron has officially joined Brie in the cast of GLOW as “washed-up Hollywood director Sam Sylvia,” who has a “complicated history with women,” that only becomes more so when he “now must lead 14 of them on the journey to wrestling stardom.”
The series comes from showrunners Liz Flahive (Homeland) and Carly Mensch (OITNB), with Kohan and Tara Herrmann set to executive produce the series as well.
Known for his neurotic and self-deprecating sense of humor, Maron sounds like the perfect fit for a role like this as a washed up Hollywood has-been, who is forced into the position of leading fourteen strong female personalities to stardom in the 1980s. I can only imagine the amount of frustration and anger he’ll get to play with that role, and it’s enough to make me giddy with excitement for GLOW.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016