If there was one thing in Suicide Squad that managed to rise above its choppy editing and incoherent, paper thin storytelling moments, it was the performance from its actors, with Margot Robbie practically taking center stage as Harley Quinn. Unfortunately, a majority of her backstory with The Joker was cut from the theatrical version of the film, as well as a number of integral character-building moments, though it seemed agreed upon that at the very least, fans and critics did want to see more from her iteration of the beloved character.
Rumors of a Harley-centric spin-off film have been running around since several months before Suicide Squad‘s release, with more and more reports indicating that it was actually Robbie herself campaigning for the project, after wholeheartedly falling in love with the character while working on Suicide Squad.
Now, THR is reporting that Robbie has signed a multi-picture first look producing deal with Warner Bros., that includes her Harley Quinn standalone film:
The actress already has two projects set at Warners: a Suicide Squad spinoff for her character Harley Quinn (as well as other DC heroines) that she will executive produce and an adaptation of Dean N. Jensen’s Queen of the Air to which she is attached to star.
So it looks like Harley Quinn will be returning to the big screen again after all, even if Suicide Squad doesn’t get a sequel as quickly as many fans or even the studio heads themselves might have thought.
Nonetheless, with Harley having a film of her own, that is said to possibly introduce other iconic female DC characters from the comics, she’ll hopefully be able to be given the kind of strong, independent moments that Suicide Squad‘s editing choices took away from her. At least, we can hope it will.
Suicide Squad is in theatres now.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016