Luke Skywalker’s role in Star Wars: Episode VIII is without a doubt, one of the most exciting aspects of the highly-anticipated follow up to The Force Awakens, after the character was just given one small, silent scene at the end of the film. Mark Hamill has teased some exciting things for Luke fans to look forward to with the sequel as well, not to mention Daisy Ridley herself sharing her excitement towards Hamill’s work in the film.
However, it looks like Luke’s role in the new trilogy may not end there either, with a new tweet from Hamill himself (coincidentally also his Twitter handle) possibly confirming his return in director Colin Trevorrow’s Star Wars: Episode IX.
The confirmation(?) comes in Hamill’s latest tweet, where he shared a video celebrating finally getting to shave his Luke Skywalker beard. Check it out below:
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) August 30, 2016
Now, it’s possible that this is just an offhand joke on Hamill’s part, as he’s expressly stated before that he doesn’t know for sure if he’s coming back for Episode IX or not (though I imagine the Episode VIII script probably makes it fairly clear), but in a world where these kinds of comments get picked apart on a daily basis, we’re going to assume that it’s a possible confirmation of his return for the third installment.
Which is exciting, not only considering Luke’s minimal role in The Force Awakens, but also in a narrative sense as well, getting to watch the character that the entire Original Trilogy was about be involved (hopefully) heavily in the final two installments of this new story.
Star Wars: Episode IX is set to hit theatres in 2019.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016