It hasn’t been the easiest week for director David Ayer, who’s latest film, Suicide Squad, has not only been met with a surprising amount of negative reviews, but has also faced some major fan backlash following the movie’s New York City premiere when he said something about DC’s direct competitor, Marvel, that many fans believe may have crossed the line from just some friendly competition and banter.
Standing on the stage at the premiere, a fan screamed “F*ck Marvel!” at Ayer, who in an excited response echoed the statement himself, though the director took to his Twitter fairly quickly afterwards to apologize for the comment. Still, that hasn’t stopped some fans from giving the filmmaker a hard time about it anyways.
Marvel’s CCO, Joe Quesada, recently took to social media to call off the Marvel fans though, saying that Ayer’s comment was “all in good fun,” and that he couldn’t wait to check out Suicide Squad.
Hey Marvel faithful I know you’re upset but cut @DavidAyerMovies a break, it was all in good fun. Can’t wait to see SS, best of luck David!
— JoeQuesada (@JoeQuesada) August 2, 2016
This is a pretty classy move on Quesada’s part, and I don’t think I’m the only fan who gets a little fuzzy inside when they see figureheads from these two companies interact peacefully and/or playfully with each other.
Hopefully, maybe when DC gets their cinematic universe finally, fully going, there’ll be more fun between these two. Until then, I guess we’ll just have to wait for Scott Derrickson, Jon Watts, James Gunn, or Taika Waititi to shout “F*ck DC!” at one of their film premieres. Now, THAT would be the start of a good time.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016