The Doctor Who fandom was shocked late last week when long-time showrunner, Steven Moffat, announced that he would be leaving the show after its upcoming tenth season. Broadchurch writer, Chris Chibnall, is set to take Moffat’s place moving forward, leaving an uneasy mystery surrounding the possible fate of Peter Capaldi’s Twelfth Doctor after the tenth season. However, Moffat’s impact on the Who world, while still large, might never have been quite as noteworthy had it not been for the collaboration between himself and his first Doctor, Matt Smith a.k.a. Eleven.
We recently got the chance to speak with Smith about Moffat’s exit while he was busy promoting his newest film, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and he shared his thoughts on the showrunner’s departure from the series, marking the end of what has been perhaps one of the most popular eras of Who ever.
Read his full quote below:
“It’s a massive end of an era, I’m really sad that he’s leaving. I think he’s done wonders for the show, and not only the show, but for me, he’s one of the great influences on my life. I’m just very pleased that I got the pleasure of working with him. But the show is about reinvention and posh is new, so it will endure.”
Smith’s arrival into the Who property at the time was an anxious one for fans. Not only was Moffat replacing long-time showrunner, Russell T. Davies, but Smith’s Eleventh Doctor was replacing what is arguably the most beloved Doctor of all time in David Tennant’s Ten. However, from “The Eleventh Hour” and on, Smith and Moffat proved that while the series’ tone was going to be different moving forward, that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.
In fact, the somewhat fairy tale-esque characterizations of the Eleventh Doctor are what made not only myself, but millions of fans love him also.
Doctor Who will return for its tenth season in the Spring of 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016