When a sequel to the stripper drama Magic Mike was announced, it was assumed that all of the major stars would return to reprise their roles. But it seems like one actor – a recent Academy Award-winner, actually – won’t be donning another thong on screen any time soon.
The Playlist spoke with Magic Mike XXL director Greg Jacobs, who confirmed that Matthew McConaughey will not be returning as Dallas in the upcoming sequel. That’s a bummer, because he was one of the best parts of the first film. The outlet also pumped Jacobs for information about the sequel, and his answer seemed to line up with what star Channing Tatum said about the film recently. Jacobs said the sequel will be “very different,” and elaborated a bit more:
What am I allowed to say? It’s road trip movie and put it this way, it’s different enough that once you see it you’ll understand why we made a sequel. No one will be accusing us of making the same movie twice.
And now Variety reports that actress Andie MacDowell has joined the cast of the sequel. There’s no word on who she’ll play, and MacDowell is in the age range where she could be playing anything from a love interest to one of the guys’ moms to an owner of a strip club the guys perform at on their road trip.
I liked the first film, and I’m disappointed McConaughey won’t be back, although I can see why maybe he wouldn’t want to jump into a role like that so soon after gaining the acclaim he’s likely been seeking for his entire professional career.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014