Several weeks ago, when production on Supergirl‘s second season was revealed to be filming scenes taking place in none other than Metropolis, the home city of Tyler Hoechlin’s Man of Steel, not only did we get plenty of images of he and Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl interacting together on set, but also a couple brief teasing images and footage that seemed to show Superman taking on one of his most iconic villains, Metallo, in a brutal hand-to-hand fight.
Now, with the second season set to premiere in just a little over a month, a confirmation of Metallo’s role in the series has finally arrived, and we know who’s playing him too.
EW is reporting that Frederick Schmidt will be playing the iconic, dangerous villain in the show’s second season. In addition, the report states that in the series, “when international assassin John Corben is badly injured after taking on both Supergirl and Superman, he is reborn by a shadow organization into the Kryptonite-powered supervillain Metallo,” which means that said fight between he and Superman that we already saw a brief tease of, could very well be taking place either before or after his full Metallo transformation.
The character is said to be appearing in at least two episodes in the new season, though no other details regarding his role in the season’s story were revealed.
Considering how legitimately brutal and bad ass that fight between the Man of Steel and Metallo looked in the set footage alone, it’ll be interesting to see Superman fully introduced in the new season, already taking on one of his more iconic and deadly foes. The show’s new CW budget though, meaning the amount of special effects that can be put into the character, could very well decide the success of this new iteration.
Fingers crossed that the transition from networks goes off as swimmingly and smoothly as we’re all hoping.
Supergirl season 2 will premiere on The CW on Monday, October 10th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016