A couple of months ago, Ben went to the L.A. Film Festival and reviewed Frank, an offbeat comedy in which Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class, Inglourious Basterds) plays the lead singer of an experimental rock band known as “Soronprbs” who brings a young musician played by Domhnall Gleeson (About Time, Star Wars: Episode VII) under his wing as the band’s new keyboardist. Maggie Gyllenhaal co-stars, and although the film’s focus is on Gleeson as a songwriter who can’t seem to write a truly compelling song, it’s Fassbender and the giant paper mache head he wears for the whole movie that really while singing on stage, showering and sleeps!
As a way to promote the film (which is hitting limited theaters soon and getting a nationwide release at the end of the month), Fassbender was joined by the rest of Soronprbs – Gyllenhaal on mini-Moog, Gleeson on keyboards, Carla Azar (Autolux) on drums and Francois Civil (“Rosemary’s Baby” mini-series) on on guitar on last night’s episode of “The Colbert Report” to perform one of the film’s songs, “I Love You All.”
And before you ask – yes, he wore the head.
Pretty interesting song and since I love Fassbender, it’s definitely on my list of films to see – but I can’t help but think of Calvin Johnson, lead singer of the ’80s (and still going strong) band Beat Happening and their hit song, “Tiger Trap.”
What do you think? Do you like the music from Frank?
Frank opens in limited release August 15th and should roll out nationwide on August 22nd.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015