Last week, news started circling the net that Adrian Toomes a.k.a. The Vulture may be appearing as one of the villains in next year’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, and fairly quickly after that, Michael Keaton was reported as being in talks with Marvel and Sony to play one of the villains in the film, though it was never specified who he was up for.
Following the announcement of Robert Downey Jr. to be appearing in the film today, it looks like we have yet another, not nearly as exciting casting confirmation regarding the film to bring to you.
Coming from THR‘s Borys Kit, Keaton is reportedly no longer in talks to join the film, with the negotiations apparently never getting farther along than the offer stage. Though Kit does also state Keaton could change his mind, and agree to be in the movie, it doesn’t look like that’s what’s happening as of right now.
I don’t think it’s too presumptious to say that a majority of fans were excited by the possibility of Keaton appearing in the film, especially since he’s been experiencing such a career resurgence over the past few years with films like Spotlight and Birdman.
Most well-known for his turn as Batman in Tim Burton’s 1989 film and Batman Returns, the idea of seeing Keaton return to the comic book genre was an exciting one to say the least, especially as more and more former Marvel and DC actors are beginning to cross over into the other universes now.
It could still happen, but even if it doesn’t, Spider-Man: Homecoming is still shaping itself up to be the most promising Spider-Man film in years, and it’ll be interesting to see just which iconic villains end up appearing in it, and which don’t.
Spider-Man: Homecoming is set to hit theatres on July 7th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016