In terms of sequels that have gone back and forth between happening and not happening throughout the years, the long-rumored sequel to Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice is near the top of the list it seems like, with stars like Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder even expressing their excitement towards the idea of a follow-up to the beloved 80s original. The general consensus seemed to be, that everyone wanted to do it, but no one knew if they were going to or not.
Despite some updates from Burton over the past few years as well, all of which seemed to indicate that the film was actually happening, it’s been nothing but quiet on the Beetlejuice 2 recently.
While recently speaking with Variety about the possibility of a sequel as well, Michael Keaton seemed to put an end to the Beetlejuice 2 rumors, stating rather plainly that he thinks the time for it may have already passed:
“It’s possible that ship has sailed. The only way to do it is to do it right. So much of it was improvised and so much was beautifully handmade by the artist that is Tim Burton. If you can’t get close to that, you leave it alone…There are certain movies that are like Indian burial grounds. You never ride over them. Bad s— happens if you cross that. You don’t touch certain things. They are sacred.”
Keaton’s performance in Beetlejuice is often heralded as being one of the best of his career, and he’s possibly the biggest reason that the movie has managed to live on throughout the years, so this coming from him makes it seem like Beetlejuice 2 may be dead, and unlike most long-gap sequels, it may stay that way as well.
It’s hard to know for sure, of course, but considering the trajectory of Keaton, Ryder, and even Burton’s careers right now, it just seems like the last thing on all of their minds would be making Beetlejuice 2, a highly-risky sequel as it is.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016