Warner Bros. is finally set on bringing the Amazon warrior to the big screen in her first solo adventure, as Michelle MacLaren has been confirmed to develop and direct Wonder Woman, starring Gal Gadot, for Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment.
Variety confirms that MacLaren has been officially brought onboard as the project’s leading voice, set to expand the DC Comics cinematic universe after the character’s first appearance in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Warner Bros. did not immediately comment on the story as it was reported. MacLaren was previously rumored to be the frontrunner for the directorial position on the Wonder Woman project, being on a shortlist that included other directors like Kathryn Bigelow and Julie Taymor. With the hiring of MacLaren, Wonder Woman is poised to become the first major theatrical film featuring a DC or Marvel Comics superheroine as the primary character, since it’s set to open over a year before Marvel Studios’ July 2018 film Captain Marvel.
Plot details aren’t currently known about the project, and given that the character’s first live-action cinematic appearance will be in Batman v Superman, it may not be an origin film. Although, another rumor that seemed to catch fire detailed that a Wonder Woman film was being developed as a period piece, taking place as much as 80 years before the time in which DC’s first crossover film would be released in 2016.
Wonder Woman is set to hit theaters on June 23rd, 2017. Be sure to keep your eye on GeekNation for the latest on the burgeoning DC Cinematic Universe!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015