If you’re into the Twilight film series, feel free to rejoice as more films are headed your way – but not in the way you might think.
THR reports that Lionsgate Films and Twilight creator Stephenie Meyer have partnered up with Facebook for “The Storytellers – New Creative Voices Of The Twilight Saga,” which will create a new series of short films and, through their multifaceted contest, will give five female filmmakers the chance to direct those shorts.
Members of the selection committee, including Meyer, Kristen Stewart, Kate Winslet, Octavia Spencer, Jennifer Lee (writer/director of Frozen), Catherine Hardwicke (director of Twilight), Julie Bowen (“Modern Family”), and Women In Film president Cathy Schulman, will judge the best short alongside Twilight fans. The winner will receive a cash price and the chance to move forward as a filmmaker. Fans will also be included in the development and production of the five individual shorts through Facebook and a crowdsourcing platform called Tongal.
Stephenie Meyer (above) encourages fans to participate and give it all they’ve got.
The female voice is something that has become more and more important to me as I’ve worked in the film industry. I’m honored to be working with Women In Film, Lionsgate and Facebook on a project dedicated to giving more women a chance to be heard creatively.
Admittedly, I am not a fan of the Twilight universe but I am a fan of anyone who encourages women to become members of an industry that’s been a bit of a “boys club” for WAY too long.
“The Storytellers — New Creative Voices of The Twilight Saga” will begin on Facebook sometime next year.
So what say you? I know I have female readers out there – will you join the initiative?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015