Remember that awesome film about an uptight, Doogie Howser-like scientist who rooms with the smartest yet biggest slacker on campus that came out in 1985 called Real Genius that starred a sexy, young Val Kilmer?
For some reason, NBC is breaking it down into a sitcom.
The Wrap reports the “Real Genius” sitcom will be turned into a present-day workplace comedy “centering around the relationship between two co-workers with incompatible personalities,” and NBC has given Happy Madison Productions (Adam Sandler’s company), 3 Arts Entertainment, and Sony TV (their company, Tri-Star Pictures, produced the 1985 feature) a script commitment plus penalty for the show.
I’m not happy the setting’s been changed and I doubt they’ll find someone as awesome as Val Kilmer (above) in the role of Chris Knight or William Atherton as the butthead Professor Hathaway, but as “Workaholics” co-executive producer Craig DiGregorio and David King (“Parks And Recreation,” “The League”) wrote the script, I suppose I’ll give it a shot.
But I have to tell you: as of right now, it sounds like it’s really close to being another sub-par knockoff of “The Office,” and no one needs another one of those.
And they BETTER bring back Jon Gries (below) as Lazlo Hollyfeld or I’m gonna rage.
What say you? Happy, unhappy, in need of a hug at this news?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015