Here’s a quick casting piece for your Saturday afternoon. As you may have heard, NBC is working on a pilot for “Constantine,” which tells the story of DC Comics’ con man/supernatural detective. Deadline now has word that Welsh actor Matt Ryan will star, taking the reins from Keanu Reeves (who portrayed the character in the 2005 film).
We already knew that director Neil Marshall would direct the pilot, but now it’s nice to know who’s going to slip into that trenchcoat and take on the role. You may recognize Ryan from “Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,” and if you’re a gamer, his voice may sound familiar: he provided the voice for Edward Kenway in Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.
Personally, I know practically nothing about this guy, so we’ll have to see if this series is good enough (or lasts long enough) for him to become a household name. With shows like “Sleepy Hollow” doing well on FOX, it stands to reason that another supernatural-style drama may succeed on a competing network. This script comes from TV veteran Daniel Cerone (“The Mentalist”), who wrote the story with David Goyer – yep, the same guy who wrote Man of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman film – so it has a bit of heat heading into production. It’s only a matter of time until we see if the project stays hot, or if this is another bust for the perpetually struggling NBC.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014