Netflix Cancels ‘Marco Polo’ After Two Seasons

By December 13, 2016
  0

Marco Polo is no more on Netflix.

The ambitious period series from The Weinstein Co. that never resonated well with critics or viewers has been cancelled after two seasons. Although the second season debuted on Netflix over the summer, the subscription streaming service was holding back on a decision until it had to decide whether or not to pick up contract options on the cast – which expire in just a couple weeks.

Marco Polo starred Lorenzo Richelmy along with Benedict Wong as the show’s antagonist, Kublai Khan. Production of the series cost Netflix $200 million over the course of two seasons, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Marco Polo becomes the first Netflix-produced original series to not make it past the second season. Harvey Weinstein, whose company produced the series, said in a statement that he and showrunner John Fusco weren’t giving up entirely on drama series like Marco Polo.

“Netflix has been incredible to give us the room to make a series with a cast true to every principle of diversity. It’s a bold network that allows you to do that and support us in the way that Netflix did.

“As many people know, Asian history and the world of martial arts have fascinated me for all of my career. I’ve made many movies around these topics and this genre, and now this is a TV show I’m so proud of. John has been a great partner, and we’re both fascinated to continue exploring this exciting period in history on future projects together.”

Ted Sarandos, who heads content at Netflix, told THR earlier this year that Marco Polo did well with Asian and European audiences.

Netflix still has three more shows to decide the fate of, according to the trade publication. They include Easy from V/H/S actor Joe Swanberg, the post-apocalyptic series Between and The Get Down, which takes place on the streets of the Bronx in the late 1970s.

The following two tabs change content below.
Michael Hinman

Michael Hinman

Managing Editor at GeekNation
Michael began what has become nearly 19 years of entertainment reporting as the founder of SyFy Portal, which would become Airlock Alpha after he sold the SyFy brand to NBC Universal. He's based out of New York City where he is the editor of a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper in the Bronx.